Saturday, February 02, 2008

Surfin' Safari

Finally finished playing with a new beach area - tinting a sea bed to get it looking right was actually a lot trickier than I thought. Also been working a lot with fleshing out conversations, and working in journal updates to tie things together. But I hadn't done much area design for a while and enjoyed getting back into it. The first area in chapter 2 I'm really not happy with looking back at it, but i don't know if I have the heart to redo it. Something I might come back to during bug hunting when I'm also trying to add some polish. But in a lot of ways I think it can be easier to scrap an area and build from scratch, rather than be tied into bad ideas hanging over from the old design.

Screenshots










8 comments:

Ernie Noa said...

These look great, I love the shot with the shipwreck in particular.

Nalencer said...

That's because the shipwreck shot is just cool, period.

Jclef said...

Wow...

Yeah, that shipwreck shot is just awesome.

I like the night pic too. The way the lighting hits the cliff face in that looks particularly nice.

Jclef said...

Oh and I hear you about starting from scratch rather than trying to polish a sneaker...

Jclef said...

Haha spam...

I just noticed there's a horse following you around. Pack mule perhaps? Or convenient transition to other maps? ;)

Wyrin said...

Thanks for the comments guys

jclef - actually the horse is a companion you get in chapter 1. BUt he does handle some travel, and the party roster (ferrying companions back to the hideout) in chapter 2, which I'll be implementing back in chapter 1 too

Alex Hugon said...

Great screenshots!

EC said...

I really like all those shots. The area has the feel of the real thing. Looks like excellent area building to me.